Knowing how long do metal roofs last will help you prepare accordingly.
When it comes to roofing materials, there are numerous options to choose from. One that’s been gaining popularity in recent years, especially in Corpus Christi, is metal roofing.
Known for its durability and longevity, metal roofs are an attractive choice for homeowners in this coastal city. But just how long do they last in the city’s unique climate and conditions?
In this blog, we’ll explore the factors that affect the lifespan of metal roofs in Corpus Christi and provide insight into what you can expect.
Understanding the Climate of Corpus Christi, Texas
Corpus Christi is known for its warm, humid, and coastal climate. The city experiences hot summers with temperatures often exceeding 90°F (32°C), high humidity levels, and occasional heavy rainfall.
In addition, being close to the Gulf of Mexico, Corpus Christi is susceptible to hurricanes and tropical storms. These environmental factors play a significant role in determining the longevity of roofing materials, including metal roofs.
Metal Roofing Durability
One of the primary reasons why you should choose metal roofing is its exceptional durability. However, the lifespan of a metal roof in Corpus Christi can vary depending on several factors:
- Material Quality: The quality of the material itself is a significant factor in determining how long do metal roofs last. High-quality materials like aluminum, copper, and steel are more durable and long-lasting than lower-quality options.
- Coating and Finish: The coating and finish applied to the metal roof can impact its longevity. Corrosion-resistant coatings, such as zinc or galvalume, can help protect the metal from the corrosive effects of the coastal environment.
- Installation: Proper installation by experienced professionals is crucial to ensuring the longevity of a metal roof. Incorrect installation can lead to issues like leaks and premature wear.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance, such as cleaning debris and checking for damage, can extend the lifespan of a metal roof. In Corpus Christi, where salt air can contribute to corrosion, maintenance is especially important.
So, How Long Do Metal Roofs Last in Corpus Christi?
With proper installation and maintenance, a metal roof can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years or more. This lifespan is significantly longer than that of traditional asphalt shingle roofs, which typically last between 20 to 30 years in this climate.
But it’s important to note that not all metal roofs are created equal. Some materials, like aluminum and copper, are more resistant to corrosion than others. Also, the thickness of the metal, known as gauge, can affect durability. Thicker gauges generally result in longer-lasting roofs.
Benefits of Metal Roofs in Corpus Christi
Now that you know how long do metal roofs last, let’s talk about the benefits it brings.
- Storm Resistance: Metal roofs are highly resistant to wind and impact damage, making them an excellent choice for Corpus Christi’s hurricane-prone area.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofs can reflect the sun’s heat, helping to keep your home cooler in the hot Texas summers. This can lead to energy savings on cooling costs.
- Low Maintenance: Metal roofs require minimal maintenance compared to other roofing materials. Periodic inspections and cleaning are usually all that’s needed to keep them in good condition.
- Longevity: As mentioned earlier, metal roofs have a longer lifespan than most other roofing materials, making them a cost-effective choice in the long run.
- Aesthetic Options: Metal roofing comes in a variety of styles and colors, allowing homeowners to choose a look that complements their home’s architecture.
Considerations When Installing a Metal Roof
Before making the decision to install a metal roof in Corpus Christi, there are some considerations to keep in mind:
- Cost: While metal roofing offers long-term cost savings, it can have a higher upfront cost compared to traditional asphalt shingles. You should weigh the initial investment against the long-term benefits.
- Local Building Codes: Ensure that your chosen metal roofing material and installation method comply with local building codes, especially in areas prone to hurricanes.
- Professional Installation: Hiring a reputable roofing contractor with experience in metal roofing installation is essential to ensure the roof’s longevity and performance.
- Warranty: Inquire about the warranty offered by the manufacturer and the installer. A strong warranty can provide peace of mind for homeowners.
Call Galvan Roofing — Your Metal Roofing Expert in Corpus Christi!
Ready to invest in a durable, long-lasting metal roof for your home? Let Galvan Roofing be your trusted partner. With over 40 years of experience, we know how long do metal roofs last and we can help you maximize them. We also have the knowledge and skills to ensure a flawless installation. Call now to request a quote!